Friday, June 5

The "sharecab" Indecent Proposal


I hopped in a yellow cab this morning and it reminded me of an article that I read in the New York Times earlier this week. The Taxi & Limosine Commission announced plans to allow passengers to share yellow taxi's *blank stare*. Now this is normal practice in the suburbs but for some reason it makes me uneasy even if only during rush hour.

Check it, my hair is flowing, my lipgloss is poppin and my pumps are giving me just that oomph that my petite frame so often desires. I flag a cab while elbowing the lady trying to steal my cab and off I go. Then enters the monstrosity: the cab slows down and imagine the dude in the picture getting in next to me lol.
While I'm sure the details will be ironed out, I'm just not comfortable with this proposal-at all. The dynamics of the city aren't that simple and safety precautions were not mentioned.
I do however, think that taxi sharing hubs near major transportation hubs like Metro North, Penn Station and airport destinations do make sense. Of course, they are touting the benefits; cheaper for the passengers, more money to be made for the drivers and the other popular benefit which is fewer emissions. You have to love that one since everybody and their momma is on the save the environment bandwagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment