Tuesday, June 30

Yesterdays News...My Two Cents: BET 2009 Awards


Facebook and Twitter was on fire yesterday with a debate about the BET Awards. Some say it was tomfoolery at its finest, others defended the cable network. The heart of the debate was the tribute to Michael Jackson. As a network geared to Black viewers it was anticipated that a great tribute would be made to MJ as mainstream media has decided to harp on the negativity surrounding the King of Pop. Many are stating that BET failed in its attempt and that for a long time the network, who is owned by media giant Viacom, provides no programming of value except for *ahem* The Frankie and Neffe Show or The Tiny and Toya Show-take your pick. BET was sold to Viacom in 2000 for $3 billion by founder Robert Johnson. As mentioned by Chairman & CEO Debra Lee, the network had about 72 hours since MJ’s death to pull a show together that takes months in advance to plan. First and foremost, it was admirable for the network to even attempt to pay tribute. I think where initially the gesture came from a good place, it proved to be overwhelming and the line up seemed botched. Furthermore, I think the expectation was set too high for BET in general.
As for the entertainment portion…I think Jamie did a great job as Host. Ne-Yo finally let us see that lavish head of his. Beyonce’s performance me no likey and despite what the streets are talking I liked Jay-Z’s performance. Maxwell was refreshing-it’s so great having him back on the scene. The O’Jay’s were great but actually reminded me of Gerald Levert. BBD performed as though they haven’t missed a beat. Aaron Hall of Guy seemed to have lost his great voice. Monica looked fab, sounded great and still got IT. Johnny Gil looked good and still has it (although he looked look a deer in headlights for the 1st half of the performance). Trey Songs & Tyrese…hmmm I’ll just say they were on point and looking good. Tevin Campbell hasn’t aged. He looked like a nervous little boy performing. I missed the last performance by Drake & Weezy which has received much criticism but I’m actually glad I missed that one. What I wish I would’ve missed was Bobby Brown flicking his tongue like that…YUK! And during a Michael Jackson tribute?! The FCC should ban that gesture from ever reaching a television audience again. No bueno.

No comments:

Post a Comment